1. Interpretation of Classical Repertoire
• From baroque through contemporary.
Repertoire include major works by Bach, Telemann, Handel, Mozart, Schubert, Debussy, Ibert, Poulenc, Gaubert, Messiaen, Hindemith, Prokofiev, Martin, Varese, Copland, Villa-Lobos, Guarnieri, Guerra-Peixe and many others.
2. Practice Routines for Flute Workshop
• A workshop devoted to find solutions for technical problems, how to practice more efficiently, and how to improve one's critical sense and perception of his/her playing.
3. Choro on Flute - History, Interpretation and Improvisation
• A hands on workshop devoted to one of the most important Brazilian music styles
Choro is one of the first music styles that developed in Brazil, spanning more than one hundred years. The flute was the first choro melodic instrument, back when choro was not yet a genre, and it is one of the most important instruments in Brazilian music history.
Composers and performers since then, has been either shaped, schooled or influenced by its improvised counterpoint lines, intricate rhythms, virtuoso melodies, smooth groove, complex form, and often surprising harmonic progressions.
Through analysis, recordings, videos, slides and live performance, we will explore topics like notation, articulation, interpretation of syncopated rhythms, melodic and rhythmic variations, ornamentation and improvisation in the choro genre. We will explore the compositions from Antonio Callado, Ernesto Nazareth, Pixinguinha, Jacob do Bandolim, and other great composers.
• A workshop about various aspects of improvisation in Jazz and Brazilian music styles
Topics include modal scales, pentatonics, hexatonics, and other scales, lower and upper chord structures, tension and resolution, approach notes, syncopation, etc, and topics about how to play - time feel, pacing, accents and ghost notes, phrase lengths, dynamic shape, etc. We will see how these topics apply to jazz and Brazilian music.
5. Altamiro Carrilho, flutist and composer
• One of the most influential choro flutists of all times, his music and interpretation characteristics.